You know how you have to get that stinky onion smell on your fingers every time you slice up onions for a sandwich or a cheeseburger? If you have Pleasantly Pickled Red Onions in the fridge, your stinky finger problems are over!!!!
This is a very quick-n-easy canning project – quite literally less than 20 minutes of hands-on time, as well as a quick processing time.
- 2 cups of red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 5 cups of thinly sliced rings of red onion
- In a saucepan, bring vinegar, garlic, clove and brown sugar to a boil then immediately reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Dip out the large pieces of garlic and discard.
- Stir the onions into the pot and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the onions are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Ladle the onions into sanitized pint jars and disperse liquid evenly throughout the jars, making sure to allow ½ inch of headspace.
- Lid the jars and process them in a water bath canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
You will end up with a lovely pink-colored jar of stinky-finger salvation!