You know how you have to get that stinky onion smell on your fingers every time you slice up onions for a sandwich or a cheeseburger? If you have Pleasantly Pickled Red Onions in the fridge, your stinky finger problems are over!!!!
This is a very quick-n-easy canning project – quite literally less than 20 minutes of hands-on time, as well as a quick processing time.
- 2 cups of red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 5 cups of thinly sliced rings of red onion
- In a saucepan, bring vinegar, garlic, clove and brown sugar to a boil then immediately reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Dip out the large pieces of garlic and discard.
- Stir the onions into the pot and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the onions are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Ladle the onions into sanitized pint jars and disperse liquid evenly throughout the jars, making sure to allow ½ inch of headspace.
- Lid the jars and process them in a water bath canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
You will end up with a lovely pink-colored jar of stinky-finger salvation!
after handling onions, rub your hands on stainless steel to remove the smell. (I just rub on the sink while washing sink its stainless steel but they do have little bars of stainless steel.)
Daisy, I’ve just found your site because of your article, “Cheap by Choice” in Survival Life. I’ve been looking through the great information you have on canning, as I soon plan to begin canning something other than preserves that I’ve done in the past.
Have you tried canning any onions other than the red onions? Would this recipe work with yellow/1015 onions?
Thanks and keep up the good work!
Hi, and welcome.
I have not tried canning onions other than red onions but there is no reason on earth that it shouldn’t work. For food safety, they would need to be pressure canned if they are not pickled. The National Onion Association has good instructions for simply canning onions in water…. http://www.onions-usa.org/faqs/canning-freezing-dehydrating-questions – and I have also seen some delicious recipes for canning carmelized onions.
Thank you for your kind words. 🙂