2020 Prepper Health & Fitness Challenge: Day 7
by Daisy Luther
As of today, we’re one week in on our prepper health and fitness challenge. We have added the following habits:
- Drinking a glass of water before any other beverage
- Eating a serving of produce before each meal
- Moving more
I hope these things are coming along easily for you.
Increasing your flexibility has a host of benefits. I recommend doing a simple flexibility exercise each morning before you start your day.
- When you are more flexible, you’re less likely to become injured
- When you are more flexible, it increases your range of motion
- It improves your posture and balance
- Many people report an improvement in joint pain.
Of course, before you start this or any other exercise program, you should speak with your doctor.
Morning flexibility routine
I began doing this simple routine when I was in physical therapy for herniated discs. I do it before I get out of bed and it only takes a few minutes. As the month goes on we’ll add some other flexibility exercises but this is a good starter for just about anyone.
Only do the movement until you feel light tension, but not discomfort.
- Lie flat on your back.
- Bring one knee to your chest as close as you can comfortably. Hold it for 5-30 seconds, based on your flexibility levels.
- Straighten that leg out and repeat the exercise with your other leg.
Repeat this 3-5 times.
- Next, bring both knees up to your chest and hold for 5-30 seconds.
Repeat 3-5 times.
- Turn over and get on your hands and knees.
- Round your spine toward the ceiling and drop your head. Hold for 5-30 seconds.
Repeat 3-5 times.
This routine shouldn’t take you more than five to ten minutes and will be acceptable for most fitness levels. Remember, nothing should be painful. If it causes pain, stop immediately.
I do this every day, no matter where I am before I get out of bed. As well, if you have back pain and can find a place to lay down, these stretches may help to alleviate your pain.
What flexibility exercises do you do?
Do you have a yoga or flexibility routine? If you have any links to good videos, please share them in the comments.
About the Author
Daisy Luther is a coffee-swigging, gun-toting blogger who writes about current events, preparedness, frugality, voluntaryism, and the pursuit of liberty on her website, The Organic Prepper. She is widely republished across alternative media and she curates all the most important news links on her aggregate site, PreppersDailyNews.com. Daisy is the best-selling author of 4 books and lives in the mountains of Virginia with her two daughters and an ever-growing menagerie. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.