By the author of Be Ready for Anything and the online course Bloom Where You’re Planted
SHTF doesn’t generally drop by at the best of times. In fact, SHTF thrives and grows exponentially under more adverse circumstances.
So, suck it up, put on your boots, and power through it – SHTF doesn’t care and neither can you!
- SHTF doesn’t care about inclement weather – snow, hail, tornadoes and hurricanes all just add to the party atmosphere for SHTF.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you sprained your ankle, broke your leg or are otherwise less than ambulatory. If you have to bug out without a vehicle, you have to bug out, regardless of your injury status.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you decided to start prepping after the trip to Disneyworld (because that trip is expensive!!!!)
- SHTF doesn’t care that you are on a boat in the middle of the ocean, regardless of what you paid for the luxury cruise. (Check out the ill-fated Carnival Cruise of the Triumph if you don’t believe me!)
- SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get your vehicle repaired. You have to evacuate regardless of the leak from the oil pan, the condition of the brakes and the funny noise in the transmission.
- SHTF doesn’t care that the entire family is ill with the stomach flu. The entire family will just have to pause to throw up while bugging out.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you need new hiking boots and that you just haven’t had time to get to the store and buy them.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you planned to buy some bulk foods with your next paycheck.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you always use electronic banking. If the ATMS are down and you have no cash, you cannot buy anything.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you used all your ammo at the range and Wal-Mart has been out for the past month.
- SHTF doesn’t care that the grocery store is closed because of a power outage and you only have a can of peas and some saltine crackers in the house.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you are wearing high heels when your car plummets to the bottom of a ravine – you still have to climb out.
- SHTF doesn’t care that the pharmacies are closed because of a pandemic and that you have no OTC or herbal medicines at home – if you catch the virus, you will suffer through it without medicine to treat it. And so will your kids.
- SHTF doesn’t care that your truck is almost out of gas and the local gas stations have closed because of the disaster. If you have to bug out, you may end up walking instead of driving.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you are depressed because you just broke up with your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend. S happens when S happens.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you have made a rock solid plan to get in shape – as soon as the weather warms up.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you are visiting your in-laws, the most unprepared people on the planet.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you had planned to get the propane tank refilled and now the propane trucks aren’t running.
- SHTF doesn’t care that your wood is not dry.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you have 300 pounds of beans and rice but failed to plan on a way to cook them.
- SHTF doesn’t care that you don’t know how to cook over an open fire without inflicting 2nd degree burns on yourself.
- SHTF doesn’t care if you have only a week’s supply of toilet paper – if the crisis lasts longer than a week, things will be progressively less pleasant regardless of your intention to purchase more Charmin.
- SHTF doesn’t care you planned to reinforce your door frame and install a metal security door – if thugs arrive to invade your home, your hollow core door will serve as a minor inconvenience instead of a deterrent.
- SHTF doesn’t care if you believe the fecal matter is headed towards the oscillating device or whether you think it’s a conspiracy theory.
- Whatever your excuse may be, you may rest assured, it could easily be on this list. And SHTF won’t care about that either.
SHTF doesn’t care that the government succeeded in grabbing your guns and you didn’t have one (with ammo) stashed somewhere else
SHTF doesn’t care that you and your family have been assigned to different FEMA camps.
“SHTF” is an unwanted but reliable visitor. Wish I never met him. Wish I never knew him. But he has taught me a few things….
Nice reminder, thanks.
Continuing from Barlow and Michael G’s additions:
28. SHTF does not care if you have an Obama/Biden/Feinstein/Reid/Bloomberg bumper sticker on your Chevy Volt. Those charging stations might not be functional or available.
29. SHTF does not care if you did not make any emergency preparedness plans because there are new episodes of American Idol, Modern Family, Honey Boo Boo, Glee and DWTS.
30. SHTF does not care if you do not want ANY guns in your neighborhood–mobs are not deterred by whistles, steak knives, pepper spray, screaming and baseball bats
Another good article Daisy! (as usual)Getting a lot of good feedback over at Mac’s place, too!
Don’t comment much here, but I’m lurking almost every day. And slowly working my way through the archives. You have some incredible stuff! Keep it up!
Thank you so much, Okie! I really appreciate the kind words! Hope you’re having a great weekend –
SHTF must be kin to uncle Arthur.
And the infamous Murphy of law fame!
#1326487 – shtf doesn’t care who, what or if you worship.
Even the Israelites were told to bake traveling bread, pack, have a good supper of lamb and be dressed and ready to go on a moment’s notice the first Passover night.
Happy holidays to all of you!
Wouldn’t be better if you used water for cleaning purposes?
22. SHTF doesn’t care if you have only a week’s supply of toilet paper – if the crisis lasts longer than a week, things will be progressively less pleasant regardless of your intention to purchase more Charmin.
Romans used sponges on a stick, and water. Of course you have to have access to water unless you want to use your 24 16oz bottles you bought just before the SHTF, and is your only supply.
I find it hard to get people to prep for anything until I bring into focus their love for others..
Sounds strange perhaps but what made General Schwarzkopf such a great commander and fearsome foe to the enemy was his love for us as his troops…Before GWI he would “Light up” the Staff over the importance of caring for the men..
So the challenge to all who would be prepared but make excuses.. What will it be like God Forbid if your loved ones are cold, wet and hungry. Suffering violence at the hands of predators criminal or otherwise..
Prep now… If your wrong you have only spent a little time and money entertaining yourself rather than play golf.. If your right and the SHTF well at least you and those you love will have a fighting chance..
SHTF doesn’t care about computers.
SHTF doesn’t care about lame articles on the Internet.
SHTF doesn’t care about Internet sites.
yes and shtf does not care if you just did not believe it could happen or you did not like your parents trying to warn you because it might upset your kids. In short welcome to the real world. Mom and Dad have bugged out and left the area!
Guys and gals, please visit your nearest FEMA camp with all firearms so we can take them, rednecks use the back gate.
SHTF doesn’t care if it hits for everyone, a few, or just for you.
It doesn’t care if you plan on going to your prepared friend’s house…and they won’t let you in.
Daisy, if the SHTF while you’re in Bosnia, have you made plans for what to do?
Get to the nearest American Embassy, depending on the level of SHTF.
You have already plotted the most direct route, Right?
No Excuses, as so many have said.
Of course you have.
Sure do 🙂 and hopefully, it would be an event in which the roads were passable. It would range between a 26 and 65-hour walk in a country where I only know a few words of the language. As with everything, it all depends on the level of SHTF we’re talking about.
This is spot on. On so many prep sites I always read that people are “planning” or “thinking about” or “reading about.” All I can say is “Just do it!.” It brings great peace of mind with each step.
And I have lived about 1/2 of them 😉
There are many minor SHT events anyway so DO all the small stuff on a regular basis like keeping your laundry done and keeping gas in your car and keeping cell phone charged. Keep ready on a moments notice.
While I find this list humorous, it is also so spot on. SHTF doesn’t necessarily mean an EOTWAWKI event, and that’s what a lot of ‘non-preppers’ don’t get. We have faced a couple of SHTF personal events over the years. DH wasn’t on board initially, but when we suffered our first personal SHTF, he quit mocking me and got on board, because we were able to power through it because of my forethought. And that’s not even including the weather related events we have been subject to. Everyone needs to start somewhere, and I always encourage folks to ‘be prepared’ for the most common weather related incidents in their particular area..Or I talk about job loss or a medical emergency. If you can make it ‘relatable’ to them, sometimes you create that spark.