2020 Prepper Health & Fitness Challenge: Day 8
by Daisy Luther
I hope the challenge is going well for you so far. Here are the small habits we’re incorporating into our daily lives.
- We’re drinking water before we drink other beverages.
- We’re adding a serving of fruit or veggies before each meal.
- We’re adding more movement to our day.
- We are performing 5 minutes of gentle stretches before we get out of bed in the morning.
Just these habits will be very helpful in making 2020 a healthier year.
Are you resting enough?
This may sound counter-intuitive when I’ve been talking about more movement, strength training, and stretching. But it’s not. The body needs rest and sleep to recover from the additional exercise you’ve been doing. Here are some suggestions.
- Track your sleep. You can do this electronically with a variety of apps and gadgets, or the old-fashioned way with a sleep diary. Here’s an article about the vicious cycle of sleep deprivation and here’s one with some suggestions for insomnia. Lots of folks, my family included, have found truth in the studies that show how a high-quality CBD oil can help with insomnia.
- Take one day a week to do nothing more than a gentle walk and your stretching exercises.
- Relax. You can’t be busy and productive every second of every day. Even (or maybe especially) when it feels like the work will never be done, you need to take a bit of time to shut off your mind and distract yourself from the stressors of day-to-day life. You deserve at least a half-hour a day to soak in the tub, to meditate, to reconnect with your religion, and/or to spend time in nature.
At the same time, I must caution you against taking this advice and going overboard. Rest, like anything else, must be done in moderation. You can’t take an entire week off because you did a challenging hike and your legs are sore. Give it a day to rest and then get back out there. This is how we build on our fitness.
Resting isn’t as easy as it sounds.
I know for a fact that taking time for self-care isn’t always as easy as it sounds. We all have so many responsibilities, we want to be well-prepped, we want to be fit yesterday.
But as the saying goes, you can’t pour from an empty pitcher. You have to treat yourself with the same kindness you would treat another person you saw struggling.
How do you relax and rest? How much sleep do you get? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
About the Author
Daisy Luther is a coffee-swigging, gun-toting blogger who writes about current events, preparedness, frugality, voluntaryism, and the pursuit of liberty on her website, The Organic Prepper. She is widely republished across alternative media and she curates all the most important news links on her aggregate site, PreppersDailyNews.com. Daisy is the best-selling author of 4 books and lives in the mountains of Virginia with her two daughters and an ever-growing menagerie. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.