Isn’t the word “Golumpki” simply fantastic?
Golumpki is the Polish name for cabbage roll, a fantastically time consuming Eastern-European delicacy that I am way too lazy to make.
So, I turned it into soup, ’cause soup is easy.
- 4 cups of browned ground beef (approx 2 pounds)(See ***NOTE in Step 1)
- salt and pepper as desired
- 4 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 12 cup of tomato puree
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 2 tbsp of oregano
- 2 tbsp basil
- 4 tsp brown sugar
4.) In a blender, puree your tomatoes. You can used canned tomatoes, tomato juice from your garden, or a vegetable-tomato juice mixture. Add your sugar, vinegar and herbs to this.
- As is, right out of the jar
- With 1 cup of already cooked rice stirred into it
- Cook a cup of rice in the soup, which will soak up most of the liquid, turning it into more of a Great Golumpki casserole.
- Some people like golumpkis topped with sour cream.