E. Coli OUTBREAK: 100,000 POUNDS of Salad Recalled, Romaine Lettuce Suspected
by Daisy Luther
If you turn to pre-packaged salads for a healthy meal on the go, you may want to find another quick and healthy meal. As well, if you make the salads yourself, you may want to eschew romaine lettuce. (Again.)
Nearly 100,000 POUNDS of salads have been recalled due to an E.coli outbreak spanning 22 states. (FIFTY TONS!) Considering the weight of lettuce, that’s a heck of a lot of salad. This is a Class 1 recall with a “high risk” of adverse health effects.
Where are the recalled products?
The bagged salads are sold at Target, Aldi, and Wal-Mart. 22 states have received shipments of the salads:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
What salads have been recalled?
The products all contained romaine lettuce, which has not specifically been recalled but is suspected to be the cause.
The salads were produced from Oct. 14, 2019, through Oct. 16, 2019.
Here is the list of recalled products:
- 6.25oz Bowl Ahold Bowl Chicken Caesar Salad Singles Chicken Caesar 10/29/19, 10/30/2019
- 6.25 oz Bowl Aldi Bistro Chicken Caesar Salad Little Salad Bar Chicken Caesar Salad 10/31/2019
- 6.25oz Bowl Aldi Bistro Santa Fe Little Salad Bar Santa Fe Style Salad 10/30/2019
- 7.9oz Bowl Bistro Chicken Guacamole Bowl Ready Pac Bistro Chicken and Guacamole Salad 10/31/2019
- 6.25oz Bowl Bistro Santa Fe Ready Pac Bistro Santa Fe Style 10/31/2019
- 6.15oz Bowl Bonduelle Caesar Bonduelle Fresh Picked Fraichement Cueilli Caesar Salad with Chicken and Bacon 10/29/2019
- 7.75oz Bowl Bonduelle Chef Salad Bonduelle Fresh Picked Fraichement Cueilli Chef Inspired Salad with Turkey & Ham 10/31/2019
- 7.25oz Bowl Bonduelle Cobb Salad Bonduelle Fresh Picked Fraichement Cueilli Cobb Salad with Turkey & Bacon 10/31/2019
- 6.25oz Bowl Bonduelle Santa Fe Salad Bonduelle Fresh Picked Fraichement Cueilli Santa Fe Style Salad with Chicken 10/31/2019 2/6
- .25oz Bowl Bowl Bistro Caesar Ready Pac Bistro Chicken Caesar 10/31/2019
- 9.95oz Bowl Bowl GB Chicken Caesar Bowl Ready Pac Bistro Gourmet Chicken Caesar Salad 10/31/2019
- 11.5oz Bowl Bowl GB Southwest Ready Pac Bistro Gourmet Southwestern Style Salad 10/31/2019
- 7oz Bowl Domino’s GB Caesar Domino’s Chicken Caesar Salad 10/29/2019
- 6.25oz Bowl GE Bowl Chicken Caesar Giant Eagle Chicken Caesar Salad 10/31/2019
- 15.25oz Bowl Kit Grill Santa Fe Style Ready Pac Bistro Salad Kit with Grilled Chicken Santa Fe Style 10/31/2019
- 7.25oz Bowl Marketside Bistro Chef Marketside Chef Salad 10/31/2019
- 6.25oz Bowl Marketside Bistro Chicken Caesar Marketside Caesar Salad with Chicken 10/30/2019
- 11.75oz Bowl Marketside Bistro DS Southwest Marketside Southwest Style Salad with Chicken 10/30/2019
- 6.35oz Bowl Marketside Bistro Santa Fe Marketside Santa Fe Style Salad with Chicken 10/30/2019
- 12oz Bowl Marketside Bowl DS Chicken Caesar Marketside Caesar Salad with Chicken 10/30/2019, 10/31/2019
- 7.45oz Bowl Marketside Premium Avocado Ranch Marketside Avocado Ranch Salad with Chicken 11/1/2019
- 6.81oz Bowl Marketside Premium BLT Marketside BLT Salad with Avocado Dressing 11/1/2019
- 6.25oz Bowl Salad Bowl Chicken Caesar Ready Pac Bistro Chicken Caesar 10/30/2019, 10/31/2019
- 2/6.25oz Bowl Sam’s ABF Chicken Caesar Ready Pac Bistro Caesar Salad Chicken Raised Without Antibiotics 10/31/2019
- 6.25oz Bowl Sam’s ABF Santa Fe Ready Pac Bistro Santa Fe Style Salad Chicken Raised Without Antibiotics 10/30/2019, 10/31/2019
- 6.75oz Bowl Signature Café Bowl Caesar Chicken Signature Café Bowl Chicken Caesar 10/29/2019
- 8.5oz Bowl Signature Café Deli Chicken BLT Signature Café Deli Chicken BLT 10/31/2019
- 7.75oz Bowl Signature Café Deli Chicken Caesar Signature Café Deli Chicken Caesar 10/31/2019
- 9.25oz Bowl Signature Café Deli Southwest Signature Café Deli Southwest 10/31/2019
- 6.50oz Bowl Signature Café Southwestern Signature Café Southwestern Style Salad 10/29/2019
- 6.25oz Bowl Signature Farms Bistro Chicken Chicken Caesar Signature Farms Chicken Caesar Salad 10/29/2019
- 6.25oz Bowl Signature Farms Bistro Santa Fe Signature Farms Bistro Santa Fe Style Salad 10/30/2019
- 12oz Bowl Signature Farms Bowl Chicken Caesar Signature Farms Bowl Chicken Caesar Salad 10/30/2019
- 11.75oz Bowl Signature Farms Bowl Southwest Signature Farms Bowl Southwestern Style Salad 10/30/2019
- 6.5oz Bowl Target Bowl Chicken Caesar Good & Gather Chicken Caesar Salad 10/30/2019
- 11.25oz Bowl BistroGarden Multisrv4/11.25oz Ready Pac Bistro Garden Salad 10/30/2019
- 11.75oz Bowl Bowl Caesar Multiserve 4/11
- .75 Ready Pac Bistro Caesar Salad 10/31/2019
- 8.6oz Bowl Domino’s GB Garden 6/8.6oz Domino’s Classic Garden Salad 10/28/2019
If you have any of these products, do not eat them.
FSIS is concerned that some products may be in consumers’ refrigerators even though they are past their use by dates. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase. (source)
E. coli can be deadly.
So far, the CDC says that17 people have been infected with the outbreak strain of E. coli O157: H7 in 8 states. Seven of those people have been hospitalized, and thankfully, no deaths have been reported.
Sandra Lane wrote about E. coli in a recent article.
It is important to know how to recognize the symptoms of E. coli infection.
The symptoms of most any E. coli infection are similar to each other and can start as late as two weeks after exposure, and can last two weeks more. Most recover within 10 days. Those symptoms include:
- Diarrhea, sometimes bloody
- Abdominal cramping
- Mild to moderate dehydration
- Usually no or little initial fever
E. coli 0157: H7, however, includes bloody diarrhea 90% of the time along with more severe dehydration, which can then further increase in severity of symptoms with tachycardia, slow capillary refill, and delirium – particularly in children. (source)
Children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems are more vulnerable to this illness.
Did you have any of these products?
Many of us have completely stopped purchasing ready-made salads or prepped vegetables. However, for a quick healthy meal, it’s not uncommon for someone to grab a prepared salad off the grocery store shelf. Please share this article with friends and family to help spread the word about this recall.
Did you happen to have any of these products? Let me know your thoughts in the comments.
Daisy Luther is a coffee-swigging, globe-trotting blogger who writes about current events, preparedness, frugality, voluntaryism, and the pursuit of liberty on her website, The Organic Prepper. She is widely republished across alternative media and she curates all the most important news links on her aggregate site, PreppersDailyNews.com. Daisy is the best-selling author of 4 books and runs a small digital publishing company. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
About the Author
Daisy Luther is a coffee-swigging, globe-trotting blogger. She is the founder and publisher of three websites. 1) The Organic Prepper, which is about current events, preparedness, self-reliance, and the pursuit of liberty on her website, 2) The Frugalite, a website with thrifty tips and solutions to help people get a handle on their personal finances without feeling deprived, and 3) PreppersDailyNews.com, an aggregate site where you can find links to all the most important news for those who wish to be prepared. She is widely republished across alternative media and Daisy is the best-selling author of 5 traditionally published books and runs a small digital publishing company with PDF guides, printables, and courses. You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Gab, MeWe, Parler, Instagram, and Twitter.