By the author of Be Ready for Anything and the online course Bloom Where You’re Planted
Prepping just doesn’t seem as “crazy” as it used to. It appears that prepping isn’t just for doomsday-fearing, tinfoil hat types anymore. Lots of people have woken up to the fact that the worst can happen, and they’re getting ready for it.
Even, it so happens, rich and famous folks.
Whether they’re worried about a giant asteroid hitting the earth, the breakdown of society, the “big” earthquake, or nuclear war, they have one thing in common – they intend to be ready and to protect the people they love. If these rich and famous folks are publicly doing something as “crazy” as getting prepped, I think we should all pay attention. It’s entirely possible that they know something we don’t.
Who are these famous preppers?
Recently, quite a few people have come out of the bunker.
Ronda Rousey, former UFC champion and current professional wrestler, has confessed that she and her husband, Travis Browne, are into prepping and self-reliance. They live on a rural property. “largely independent of modern conveniences.” Here’s what she has to say about it:
“I am a big doomsday prepper. I think of it as a very positive outlook on the world. Some people think it is negative… Instead of my apocalypse plan being a handle of alcohol and maybe tears, which is a lot of people’s plan, I’m like, I’m going to make it. If anyone’s going to make it, I’m going to make it…
…I could buy a whole bunch of things, but what’s luxury to me and freedom to me is being independent and finding a way to live off the land and do no harm, as opposed to buying as many mansions as I can and being on Cribs…
…I think that self-reliance and independence is real freedom. We forgo our freedom for convenience a lot of the time. It is more important for people to know how to feed themselves than to know how to do trigonometry,” she added. “A lot of these skills that were commonplace, every generation we know less and less an less about them because it makes people money for us not to know. Every single person in here their survival plan is a grocery store. If all the grocery stores closed, what would you do? That’s a scary thought.” (source)
And Rousey isn’t alone in her plans to survive. Jamie Lee Curtis, a Red Cross volunteer, has made a video of what she keeps in her survival kit to encourage others to get prepped. Zooey Deschanel of New Girl went on the Conan O’Brien show and talked about being prepared.
Lots of things in Roseanne Barr’s Twitter feed indicate she’s prepared too. Here are some examples cited by the Washington Times:
- “in america: be prepared by organizing w ur neighbors to grow wholesome food/store water/vitamins/guns.”
- “I tell people to have cash, guns, food, water, meds, etc. Foolish if you don’t have cash.”
- “grandmothers: organize your teen youth to protect the young ones and the old ones and grow community gardens if u want 2 survive things.”
Billionaires who have bunkers and retreats
Alex Hollings of Sofrep reports that some people you’d never expect to have a bunker were prepped and ready for whatever might come.
- The Walton family: The owners of Wal-Mart have a custom-built bunker in Bentonville, Arkansas that is big enough for their extremely large family. They built it shortly after the 9/11 attacks and it is guarded by a full-time security detail.
- Antonio García Martínez: The former Facebook product manager purchased land in the Pacific Northwest. While he hasn’t provided a lot of details (good OpSec, sir), he has said that “it is well equipped with solar and diesel generators, survival equipment, and all the firepower he believes he’d need to defend his stake.”
- Steve Huffman: The co-founder of Reddit has undergone Lasix surgery to correct his vision because, in his own words, without glasses or contacts, if the world ends, he’s “f–ked.” Huffman also has a bunker and motorcycles to evacuate San Francisco. He said, ” I think, to some degree, we all collectively take it on faith that our country works, that our currency is valuable, the peaceful transfer of power — that all of these things that we hold dear work because we believe they work. While I do believe they’re quite resilient, and we’ve been through a lot, certainly we’re going to go through a lot more.”
Other rich preppers are buying up huge swaths of land all over the world
And other extremely wealthy folks have plans in place, too. Quite a few Silicon Valley billionaires have purchased property in rural New Zealand to which they plan to escape if it all goes belly-up. According to Mark O’Connell of the Guardian, two, in particular, are making waves.
- Peter Thiel: The co-founder of Paypal and billionaire venture capitalist has purchased a 477-acre plot of property in New Zealand and fast-tracked his citizenship there.
- Sam Altman: Another Silicone Valley entrepreneur plans to head to N.Z. with Thiel if it all goes belly up. He has told the press that he has an arrangement with Thiel ” whereby in the eventuality of some kind of systemic collapse scenario – synthetic virus breakout, rampaging AI, resource war between nuclear-armed states, so forth – they both get on a private jet and fly to a property Thiel owns in New Zealand.”
Other billionaires are buying up huge swaths of property here in the US. According to Forbes, these guys are creating massive, remote “vacation home” retreats with private jets standing by to get them there.
- John Malone: 2,200,000 acres in Wyoming and Colorado
- Ted Turner: 2,000,000 acres in Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico and North Dakota
- Philip Anschultz: 434,000 acres in Wyoming
- Jeff Bezos: 400,000 acres in Texas
- Stan Kroenke: 225,162 acres in Montana
- Bill Gates: 28,000 acres in Arizona, in which he is creating his own town called Belmont
Does this mean the “end” is near?
I don’t know about you, but I always figure that the billionaire set is “important” enough to be provided with information to which the rest of us do not have access. While I’m not saying that the sky is falling, an asteroid is headed our way, or the complete breakdown of society is upon us, I am saying that when a flurry of preparations of folks who are probably in the know becomes public knowledge, we should all be paying close attention and working on our own survival plans.
Do you know of any other celebrity or ultra-wealthy preppers? Share in the comments, along with links.
They know what our grandparents know . They just have money to make it on a bigger scale with bunkers and caches of food and weapons. I don’t believe in a total end of the world event if so won’t matter what you have. I do believe in power outage , ice storms, hurricanes stikes and gas shortage. Yes be prepared have food water meds shelter and a plan..I live in the north east miles away from town. You know what we lost power for 6 days not fun but no big deal that was last winter can happen anytime anywhere. Small things like that will come up in life
I forgot to say heated house with 2 Mr buddy thank you for tip and we opened our house to several close neighbor s..
Peter Thiel is a director of Facebook and was an early investor who sold his stake for over a billion dollars. He is also on the steering committee of the Bilderberg Group. He has invested in self-aware AI. Yeah, if any of these know anything we don’t he is probably the one.
I was told there was a show on one of the documentary channels 4 or 5 years ago about a huge bunker complex being build in Arkansas. I guess we now know that was the Walton family. If somebody tracks down that show please tell us as I would like to see it.
I would love to know where the Wal-Mart family compound is. Told my wife to start saving all of our receipts, that way when we show up at their gate the day after, we can prove that we are longtime loyal customers.
All well and good.
But to they have the skill sets here and now to survive and thrive after their stock piles of freeze dried foods run out?
Oh, and living in very close proximity, for a prolonged period of time, yeah, tempers get short. Relationships get strained. People get ugly.
Imbalance in the male to female ratio, things get even uglier.
Before everyone starts dogging me, I am stating a fact based off personal experience and observation.
*rolleyes* If doing something because someone rich and famous is doing it is inherently wise, I suggest acting like Dennis rodman high on tiger blood. See how that works for you.
My area has less than a days worth of water right now. THIS is why it’s important to be prepared. While people are freaking out and running to the store to fight over the water I’m looking at my stash knowing I’m good for awhile. I just pray they get it fixed quickly.
It’s interesting that almost all the locations the Forbes listers at the bottom of the article purchased in non-coastline states. Very interesting article! Thanks!
If things got bad enough that you need a bunker, that means the electrical grid will probably go down. With no power for some time the nuclear power plants will melt down when they run out of emergency backup power.
Prepping for this is idiocy, unless you want to survive in an irradiated world.